Saturday, March 15, 2014

Chronic Illnesses and Depression

CF is a chronic illness, meaning that it cannot be cured. It is also a progressive disease, which means that overtime the condition worsens (progresses.)

Many people with chronic illnesses also suffer from depression, it's an unfortunate fact of life. I spent my late teen years depressed as a result of being fixated upon the fact that I am not expected to live past the age of 37.

For many people, CF limits their independence, quality of life, and overall satisfaction and enjoyment in life. Hours of treatments, various tubes dangling from your body, and the plain and simple fact that you are just different, and there isn't a way to fix it are more than enough reason to be depressed. The physical effects of CF are enough to lead to depression, and the physical effects of depression can worsen your condition. Symptoms of depression include but are not limited to fatigue, lack of appetite, and insomnia.

Coping with depression:

Many CF clinics offer a psychiatrist or counselor to the patients and their immediate family members. While this resource is often unused, it is by far one of the biggest steps in the right direction. A psychiatrist that understands CF will have a better understanding of how you feel and why you are feeling that way. They are not intended to be there to judge you or analyze every aspect of your existence, they are there for you to talk to about how you're feeling. Once those feelings are out in the open you are able to look for solutions and treatments. Medication that can balance the chemicals that cause depression can be prescribed, in addition to the learning of new coping mechanisms.

 For me, personally, one thing that has led me further away from depression is knowing that every one has some sort of burden to bear. My psychiatrist is able to hear me out, we can compose game plans of when we know I'm more likely to become depressed (like when my PFT's are down, I'm prescribed a new medicine, or when I can't participate in an activity because I'm sick). I highly recommend discussing options with your doctor. They'll figure out whats best for you and from there you can gain control of your life and emotions again.

No comments:

Post a Comment