Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Genetic Differences amongst the CFTR mutation

You may have noticed that some people with CF are sicker than others, or they have different symptoms from one person to the next. I am the prime example of this. I have more health issues related to my digestive system than I do my respiratory system.

One reasoning for this is that some mutations are associated with pancreatic insufficiency, meaning the pancreas does not produce enough enzymes, thus needing the patient to take enzyme supplements. In some mutations, the pancreas functions properly, and this patient will not need the supplements.

Environmental factors also come into play. Was/is the patient exposed to cigarette smoke, pollution, or other air quality alterations?

Not all CF patients comply with their treatments, or even get the same medical treatment. Some were diagnosed at a later age, others were diagnosed early on which allowed for the opportunity to become healthier.


Remember that everyone is different. Don't let yourself get down because you're sicker than your friends, and don't have "survivors remorse," which is something that I suffered from previously. I used to feel so guilty for being healthier than some of my friends. In the end, we're all fighting this battle together. Keep it up.

-B.

No comments:

Post a Comment