Saturday, January 11, 2014

CF & School

I'm not sure how many of the readers here are in school, but here are a few tips that you may/may not know about. If you have some advice for me please feel free to share in the comment section, and thank you in advance!

When  I was in high school, I met with my teachers before the semester started. I was able to inform them of my diagnosis, treatment and accommodations that would be necessary if I was hospitalized. In the state of Texas, we call this a 504 plan and a 504 meeting. Whenever I transitioned to a community college, I was able to have the same information provided to my professors, under the same title of 504 plan. Things were added, and I needed additional documentation. My 504 plan that I have on file with my community college contains a letter from my doctor stating that I was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis. It includes a list of medications, emergency contact numbers, allergies, and a plethora of other crucial information. In addition to that, I was able to meet with my social worker at the clinic (the hospital that I attend makes it mandatory to meet with the social worker, even if it is just to chat, but mainly because they want patients to know about the resources available to them. I'm very thankful for this service!) My social worker provided me with a list of recommended accommodations. See below:

1. Frequent restroom breaks
2. An extra set of textbooks and classroom material in case I'm hospitalized or unable to attend class
3. A tutor for hospitalizations and home visits
4. Extended time for assignments and tests (ONLY to be used when hospitalized, or ill at home, additional doctor's note is required.)
5. Extra time between classes for a treatment (at one point I was taking albuterol 5x a day!)
6. Beverages and snacks in class, but put away under the desk or in my bag.
7. Access to employee or nurses restroom
8. Excused tardiness for morning classes
9. An assigned note taker or a recorder provided to me by the school for lectures
10. IV treatments during class
11. Sitting closer to the front of the classroom
12. One on one visits with instructors, advanced access to testing and course materials
13. Excused absences on clinic days
14. Ability to email assignments to instructors due to hospitalization or sickness at home


I think that about covers the accommodations that I have!! I don't always take advantage of them, but when I have been extremely ill they are a great tool. It's always best to have them on file for the unexpected things that occur! Also, when you're visiting a college, swing by their disability services and see what documents they require. Each institution is different! They usually offer scholarships for disabled students, so check that out as well! Before the semester starts I have to get a form from the disability services and get each teacher to sign it stating that they are aware of my special needs, and that they will abide by those rules printed in the agreement!


Best of luck to all you students out there, it isn't easy, but it's worth it!

-B.

No comments:

Post a Comment